Sunday, August 19, 2007

Second Day Blues

What an arduous day. I was only able to make it to High River, Alberta, about 60 km south of Calgary. I started out the day getting my first speeding ticket just north of Pocatello. Its not like I didn't deserve it. I've been tear-assing all around this country for years and up until today I was lucky.

The ride from Butte, Montana along the Missouri was nice but most of the day was just burning miles through the endless prairie east of the Rockies. There was a fire in the mountains casting a haze of smoke throughout the canyon.

I got to the Canadian port of entry around 4:30 PM PST where there were two substantial lines of cars waiting to get in. During the ride through northern Montana, I could see a storm following me off to the left. When I finally got through with the port of entry, the storm had caught up to me. There was a substantial cross wind and lightening strikes close to the highway. Gratefully, my wet weather gear works very well and I had no problem with my helmet fogging up like I did with my old helmet.

After about an hour, I was past the storm and trying to navigate through all the small towns along the way to Calgary. It finally got dark and I had had enough of the road for the day. I should be able to make Dawson Creak by tomorrow even though the speed limits are lower so far than they were in Montana.

No photos yet. I have not stopped long enough anywhere to take any.

Today's stats:
· 1551.1 miles
· 26:38 total time
· 21:40 moving time
· 04:58 stopped.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.