Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Adventure Begins

The adventure truly began today. I left Dawson Creak after taking the obligatory photo of the mile zero marker in the center of town. Of course, the first few hundred yards of the Alaska Highway was under construction so they moved the milepost to an adjacent street. The highway to Fort Nelson was walled in by tall conifers and aspen trees and rained half the time. My wet weather gear is proving to be worth the purchase price.

I always pictured the north as being forested but it is amazing just how vast the forest is. The few times I was up on a ridge, I could see nothing but pine trees from horizon to horizon. Approaching Fort Nelson, I noticed the foothills of the northern Rockies growing closer.

Past Fort Nelson, the Highway 97 turns to the west and right up into the mountains. This narrow, two lane road is precisely what the Multistrada as designed for. It is really wasted on the interstate highway.

More wildlife has started appearing. I saw the biggest buck of my life just off the highway and shortly before reaching Summit Lake, two caribou on the road. I was approaching the summit when an oncoming car started flashing its lights at me. I know from past experience that usually means there is something in the road ahead so I slowed. I managed to find a place to stop and take a few photos.

I finished off the day by stopping at Toad River Lodge, the site of an Alaska Highway work camp. I had dinner with a group of Harley riders from Yakima, Washington. I first met them when I stopped at Sasquatch Crossing for lunch, where they asked me to take a group photo of them with the owner of the hotel who was dressed in a big foot costume. One of the couples had to purchase a used bike in Prince George when their engine blew due to a lack of oil.

I am planning to reach Whitehorse tomorrow where I will take a day off to do a little exploring and touristy things.

Trip stats:
· 2548.4 miles
· 47:48 total time
· 38:41 moving time
· 09:07 stopped.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, so far so good. Can't wait to see the photos. Dennis

Anonymous said...

Pictures my good man, pictures !!