The traffic was light and easy to pass so I enjoyed winding it out on the twisty roads. The mountains up here are covered in a mixture of pine and quaking aspen and have massive solidified lava flows coming up close to the road.
On highway 14, I stopped at the small town of Duck Creek to find a place to spend the night. You can tell there was a lake at one time because there is a boggy meadow surrounded by cabins but the only water visible was a small stream; presumably Duck Creek. The accommodations were sparse; a few tourist cabins right on the main street and a small hotel/general store on a hill above the highway. Neither really attracted me.
I set out back down to Hatch because I knew there were a few motels but on the way out of Duck Creek I noticed blue road sign with a bed icon pointing up a dirt road. A quarter mile up the road I found the Pinewood Resort, which has a lodge, restaurant, cabins, conference center, and a small motel. I inquired about a room but there were none available except for a possible canceled reservation. With the change of a room, I went to the restaurant for a late lunch. By the time I finished lunch, the cancellation was confirmed and I got to stay.
![]() |
| UtahDayThr |

1 comment:
Bummer on the hike.
Sounds pretty desolate out there. Do you ever wonder what kind of life these people have? I wonder what winter is like?
So did you stay in the Lodge, Mountain Home or The Inn. The places looks pretty good on the net. How is the food? Anything has got to be better than the dehydrated crap you've been eating. But I guess you have to make choices when riding a moto.
Post a Comment